Friday 9 November 2012

Heart of Darkness, Phnom Penh

I, Melachi ibn Amillar, being of unsound mind and body, did visit the notorious Heart of Darkness Club in Phnom Penh, in November 2012, after midnight, after a session, and on my own. Of unsound mind indeed, then, but the security did not bother to frisk me. The beer was $2 per draft. The club is nicely decorated in a gothic-Cambodian style, there is a smallish dancefloor downstairs, with a serious sound system, and a pool table upstairs. I am not very familiar with dance music, but I think it was some euro-trash. The guests were mainly trashy young Cambodian men and some international gap-year-trash. Unlike myself, of course. There were a dozen Cambodian or Vietnamese women hanging around by the bar, somewhat professional though not very persistent, lacking the easy charm of their Thai counterparts. Although the barman was a bit gruff, the security were quite chatty. The club seemed perfectly clean and safe to me, indeed I went back on a Saturday and found much the same crowd but more of them. A pleasant addition to any evening in the Penh, says Melachi.

No comments:

Post a Comment