Sunday 18 January 2015

Saint Vitus and Orange Goblin

Orange by name
I, Melachi ibn Amillar, being of unsound mind and body, did attend the Concert of Orange Goblin and Saint Vitus, on 29 October, at Heaven under the Arches at Charing Cross. I have not previously attended this venue, the  brickwork and arches striking me as most suitable for darker sounds and certainly much preferable to the O2 Islington. Heavy Metal is not the most subtle of art forms, and Orange Goblin are not its most delicate proponents, but for some basic driving rock they performed the business, though I rather preferred the simple dirge of Serpent Venom preceding them.




Washed out
Saint Vitus seemed old in a very literal sense and their doom lacked any clear riffs or themes; I have a few of their records and cannot really remember anything from them either. I liked more their Shrinebuilder project, which did seem to build to some more structured pieces.  The singer implored the people never to sell out, indeed I gather he was expelled from Europe shortly afterwards, so clearly adheres to that philosophy, though on the basis of this gig Melachi is not sure his absence from these shores will be a great loss.


No comments:

Post a Comment