Saturday 3 December 2016

National Museum, Dar es Salaam

For ivory.
I visited this museum for TZS 6500. There is a nice origin of man exhibition, and a modern historical section dealing from about 1500. I quite liked this, but it would be better with a clearer exposition of the tribes, their circles of influence and what the Germans were doing there and how the colonisation and deconolisation took place. Indeed I am now seriously considering reading the historical section of my guidebook. The natural history exhibits were all closed except for a stuffed lion. I was tempted to ask for a partial refund, but did not do so as the man giving back my bag said he had never seen a German camera before. There's also a small, expensive cafe. Melachi reflects that this is the only sight worth seeing in Dar, and it is half shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment