Saturday 12 May 2012

Primordial Prime in Islington


Primordial Prime in Islington

6 May 2012, 00:13
Sat 5 May – Primordial, Hell, Winterfylleth

I, Melachi ibn Amillar, being of unsound mind and body, did grant an audience to Primordial at the 02 Islington, London, on 5 May 2012. I heard most of the first band,Winterfylleth, and was impressed. They played much in the brisk shamanic two-step of the pagan style, which I had last heard from Wolves in the Throne Room, though with their songs nicely structured and decent variations. My only query was whether the shamanic two-step was entirely suited for "English" pagan metal, is it not more a Nordic or Eastern structure? I was sorry not to pick up their vinyls after the gig.

Next were a band "Hell", strangely I had never seen them before. The cross of thorns borne by their singer was interesting, and the crow-mask when he moved to "bring out your dead" even more so; and when we got to the auto-flagellation, this was perhaps excessive... I last saw blood in Islington from the lady of the Theatre des Vampyres, perhaps they should get together. Strangely I had complained only last week of the lack of synchronism in the headbanging of Insomnium, here we actually had choreographed headbanging, with the heads moving to the back and the side in order. My question with regard to these gentlemen was I think relating to the music, always important for a band, I feel, and here not entirely exceptional. Their song about Macbeth was perhaps not at the same level as the rest (being a rather odd topic). I hoped they would do a metalled-up rendition of "Gethsemane" towards the end, but was not to be. But very interesting, and I would like to see them again, though perhaps not buy their records, if any. And I do not think I would go as far as the young lady in front of me, with a tattoo of pitchforks, possibly their emblem, in a circle between her shoulder blades.

Then the headliners, Primordial, as they said, from Ireland, Republic of. I thought he asked rather too frequently whether we were alone, since the answer was not altogether unclear. But a very impressive vocalist, who could perhaps add a little menace to his repertoire, and with actually meaningful lyrics, quite a rare thing in the metal scene, possibly the Irish influence. If only Opeth could write a lyric at least once in a while! Had many epic, powerful and memorable songs, I recall Coffin Ships, Judas, and Empire Falls, and one about Slaves of Rome, - and to remember this never having previously heard them is great credit to them. A few more guitar solos and a greater moshing would have improved matters still further. Hope to see them back in London soon.

Aye to a great line-up of bands, one of the best I have heard. Nay to early curfew; in fact my companions and I took revenge by staying on for the subsequent Club de Fromage disco and got thrown out for excessive slam dancing. Which was not a sorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment