Sunday 3 June 2012

Wall Trips

I, Melachi ibn Amillar, being of unsound mind and body, did read Mick Wall's "Paranoid: Black Days with Sabbath and Other Horror Stories" (1999) in June 2012. The narrator claims to have been a music journalist and the book is about his use of heroin and other drugs, while interviewing various metal bands in the late 1980s. He repeatedly says that he was only interested in drugs and that everything he wrote was nonsense. Such a pronouncement may not be the best advertisement for the book; but I can confirm that he indeed has nothing interesting to say on any subject whatsoever, particularly the music itself. He appears contemptuous of everyone, and very much on the fringes of the bands he writes about. My copy ends suddenly on page 222; I do not know if this a manufacturing error, or is supposed to represent something sinister. Sudden overdose? Sudden sobriety? Fascinating, I, Melachi, am sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment