Tuesday 22 November 2016

Hail the jumping 'brother from Mozambique'

I lunched on grilled red snapper which was very nice for TZS 20k with beer at 5k at Gerry's bar, which is on Nyungwi beach next to the Doubletree Hilton, Zanzibar. In the evening there is live music, loud on Tuesday and quiet on Sunday. On my Tuesday it started with a general Caribou with excellent lead guitar but covers (such as 'Sweet Caroline'), and though I like 'Hotel Cal-ee-fornia' as much as anyone it was not quite what we were expecting - the promised reggae set finally appeared following the belated arrival of the jumping "brother from Mozambique", with much dancing into the small hours -- as the mainland Rastas slowly emerged from the shadows, bringing remedies herbal and female, for a small consideration. While they were distracted in their ascension, I made my escape along the beach back to the hut, though was accosted by a further brother demanding 10k for no obvious reason, who finally gave up. Though if he had mugged me, using his African skills, he wouldn't have got much more than the 10k as Gerry's is rather expensive. And thus I left the glampackers swaying by the shining ocean -- while the inland locals cowered in foul hovels, and drew their plans against us.

No comments:

Post a Comment